[Updated 10 September 2018]
Kenya is home to a variety of stunning attractions, wildlife and sandy coastlines, that is why the country is fast becoming a popular destination of choice for many Nigerians. The country’s unparalleled beauty and charm has made it to be on most Nigerian’s bucket list.
Nigerian passport holders require a visa to travel to Kenya, but rest assured the process is an easy one! This article applies to the Kenyan e-visa for tourists which you can obtain online through eVisa.
Please note that your possession of a Kenyan e-visa does not guarantee you entry into the country. The immigration officers, at the port of entry, can deny you entry if you do not meet the immigration requirements. The processing time for the Kenyan e-visa is two business days, but it is recommended to apply at least seven days before you travel to spare yourself some stress, and in case additional documents are required.
Please check your eligibility before beginning the application process and submitting your application well in advance of flight departure. Once you have your visa, all that’s left to do is pack your bags!
Kenyan Visa Description
- Single-Entry Visa – This e-visa allows you to enter into Kenya once. The single-entry visa is for those who want to go to Kenya for business, tourism or medical reasons. It is valid for three months from the date of issue with a stay of up to 90 days in Kenya. You can renew the single-entry visa for up to a maximum of six months – at the immigration headquarters in Nairobi.
- Transit Visa – Allows you a short stop-over that can last up to 72 hours.
Visa Processing Time
The e-visa processing time is two business days. Once your Kenya e-visa has been approved it will be sent to your eVisa account. Print out a copy and present it with your passport at the port of entry in Kenya.
|Type of Visa||Cost of Visa|
|Single-Entry Visa||USD 51|
|Transit Visa||USD 21|
Secure payments can be made using your debit card, credit card, VISA card or Mastercard via the eVisa website, after submitting your application form.
Please note: The e-visa processing fee is non-refundable!
Kenya Visa Requirements
- Passport valid for at least six months, with at least one blank page for entry stamp
- A return ticket
- One scanned photograph – must follow the Kenyan government’s photo guideline
- Travel itinerary
- Hotel bookings
- Invitation letter – if visiting family
Follow the eVisa checklist to ensure you have all necessary documents.
How to Apply Online
- Click “create an account” on the eVisa home page
- Select “register as a visitor”
- Once logged in, select Department of Immigration Services
- Make an application and select “apply now”
- Fill in the application form
- Submit application
- Choose your payment method (debit/credit/prepaid card, EazzyPay, KCB Cash or Equity Cash)
- Await approval via email, then download and print the Kenyan e-visa from your eVisa account
- Present your printed Kenyan e-visa to the immigration officer at the port of entry
Now that you have all the necessary information needed to acquire your Kenyan e-visa, you’re ready to book your flight and fly to this diverse African destination.
If you haven’t booked your tickets yet, find cheap flights to Kenya with Travelstart!
All information on this blog page was correct at the time of publishing and may change at any time without prior notice. Travelstart is not affiliated to immigration authorities or their application centres and will not be liable for loss or inconvenience arising from the use of this volatile information.
Travelstart does not provide advice or assist with processing visas. The content of this article is listed as recommended by research and the Kenyan embassy. Kindly check the embassy’s website BEFORE applying for your visa.
Featured image courtesy of @luigiborto_ via Instagram