[Update: 21 May 2021]
Dreaming of journeying to South Africa to experience its incredible nightlife, wine farms and game parks? Now you can make this dream possible with informed guidance on how to obtain your South African visa. Nigerian passport holders require a visitor visa to enter South Africa. You will need to apply at a VFS Global Centre branch in Abuja, Lagos or Port Harcourt. Always apply for your South African visitor visa at least four weeks before you travel to allow for ample processing time. Please check your eligibility before beginning the application process. Once you have your visa, all that’s left to do is pack your bags!
Please note this process is applicable to Nigerian passport holders.
Types of Visas
- Visitors Visa – The visitors’ visa is primarily used for visiting family or vacationing for a short period of time. It is valid for temporary stays of up to 90 days.
- Long Stay Visitor Visa – Best suited for foreign nationals to stay in South Africa for a period between 3 months and 3 years.
Processing a South African visa can take a minimum of six working days. The time may vary as each application has to undergo an individual assessment.
You can collect your visa at the respective VFS Global Centre. The visa application centre is open from Monday to Friday, except on public holidays and over weekends. Bring along the receipt which you received on the day you submitted your application. You will be notified via SMS when your application has been sent to the South African Embassy on the submission day. You can track your South African visa application online.
|Visa Fee in Naira (Inclusive of VAT)||Service Fee in Naira (Inclusive of VAT)|
|Short Term: Holiday Visa||₦8,600||₦25,470|
|Long Term: Business Visa||₦30,600||₦25,470|
Stay updated with the courier service fees on the VFS website.
The South African visa fee is subject to change without notice. It is based on the current exchange rate.
Applicants are to pay in cash at Bank Implant inside VFS Centre. Be sure to have a copy of the first page of your passport when paying the service and visa fee at the bank.
You will require the following documents for a visitor visa:
- A valid passport (validity of at least 30 days after the intended stay).
- Two identical passport size (45x45mm) photographs on white background showing your complete face.
- Application Form (BI84), fully completed in black ink only.
- Copy of passport data page as well as copies of existing visa and previously issued visas.
- Self-introduction letter with a physical address and phone number.
- Introduction/Recommendation letter from an employer, where applicable, signed with contact details.
- Verifiable hotel reservation/bookings – must be done directly with the hotels and not through third parties.
- Copy of international vaccination card (yellow fever card), fully completed by a health practitioner.
- Proof of financial status (six months recent bank statements) or financial support letter from employer with six months bank statements in a case where the employer is sponsoring the trip.
- Birth certificate for minors/children travelling with parents.
- Marriage certificate where applicable and if the intended stay will be for more than 90 days.
- Flight booking.
- Non-refundable visa fee of ₦8,600, excluding service fee.
- See the full checklist to ensure you have all the required documents.
Documents required for a business visa can be viewed on the VFS website.
Where to Apply
You can apply for your South African visa at VFS Global in Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt. All applicants must submit their applications in person at the application centres.
VFS Application Centre – Lagos
|Address:||Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, Opposite Treasure Garden Estate
Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I, Lagos
|Contact:||+234 815 018 8800|
|Opening Hours:||Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 15:00|
VFS Application Centre – Abuja
|Address:||No. 38, Lobito Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja|
|Contact:||+234 81 5018 8800|
|Submission Timings:||Monday to Friday – 08:00 – 15:00|
VFS Application Centre – Port Harcourt
|Address:||Vineyard Shopping Centre, 88 Woji Road, GRA, Port Harcourt|
|Contact:||+234 81 5018 8800|
|Submission Times:||Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 15:00|
How to Book an Appointment
Each application centre accepts a set amount of application entries per day.. It is advised to get to the application centre as early as 7 am in order to hand in your application in good time and avoid long queues.
To be sure you got everything you need, take advantage of the South African visa requirement checklist.
All information on this blog page was correct at the time of publishing and may change at any time without prior notice. Travelstart is not affiliated with immigration authorities or their application centres and will not be liable for loss or inconvenience arising from the use of this volatile information.
Travelstart does not provide advice or assist with processing visas. The content of this article is listed as recommended by research and the South African embassy. Kindly check the embassy’s website BEFORE applying for your visa.