So you’ve finally decided to tie the knot and spend your life with that one special person or you are hoping to revive the spark with your spouse. What better way to celebrate your love than taking an adventurous trip to Africa to make new memories that’ll last forever?
Africa is mystic; it is wild; an escapist paradise – offering some of the most beautiful scenery and memorable experiences. Which means you should be ready for an exciting adventurous trip on your honeymoon.
Imagine you having your breakfast with the giraffes in Kenya, curling firm to your spouse on a hammock in Liberia, lazing around the beaches in Mauritius, pumping your adrenaline with the wildlife in Sierra Leone or throwing nuts with the lemurs in Madagascar. Whether you prefer quiet beach time or adventures, you won’t be disappointed with any of these best five honeymoon destinations in Africa.
Kenya provided the backdrop for the Oscar award-winning movie “Out of Africa” so watch that before making this trip to tempt your senses. It’s like a tightly packed package of incredible experiences boasting of exotic wildlife, beaches, beautiful resorts and stunning sceneries …need we say more?
Explore all the tourist sights, walk through the natural sanctuaries hand in hand, shop, dine and relish the bliss. Kenya is one of the most famous honeymoon destinations blessed with varied pleasures.
Things to do in Kenya on Honeymoon:
- Wildlife adventure at Masai Mara Plain.
- Take the hot-air balloon to soar above the Masai Mara.
- Beach pleasures at Mombassa.
- Feed your Instagram/Facebook with pictures as Mount Kilimanjaro stands as a backdrop.
- Try the white water rafting at Sagna.
- Enjoy an unforgettable cycle ride to Hell’s gate.
Best time to visit: Kenya is a year-round destination.
Visa requirement: Nigerians can get an e-visa for 30 days
There is simply no other way to put it: Mauritius is simply heaven on earth. One of the few places left in the world where you can you can look forward to waking up every morning in paradise with fresh clean air, no loud and obnoxious noises, and dramatic views that are hard to imagine. It is a perfect spot for breathtaking scenery, beautiful beaches and luxury hotels; making it a perfect spot for newlyweds to make their once-in-a-lifetime memories.
Things to do in Mauritius on honeymoon:
- Island hopping.
- Romantic cruise through Port Louis.
- Snorkelling, Scuba diving and kayaking.
- Pampering spa session.
- Enjoy a romantic walk on the beach.
- Escape the city to Poudre d’Or’ village to listening to love stories of Paul & Virginie.
Best time to visit: April to December
Visa requirement: Nigerians can visit and stay in Mauritius for 14 days without a visa.
3. Comoros Island
One of the most beautiful islands of East Africa, Comoros is an extremely romantic location for couples on honeymoon. The breathtaking palm-fringed beaches, turquoise beaches, dazzling sunsets, pampering luxury resorts, delicious cuisine, nightlife and the bevy of watersports to create unforgettable memories. The serene bliss is perfect for love to blossom.
Things to do in Comoros Island on honeymoon:
- Pamper yourself with a spa session.
- Snorkeling, scuba diving, or sailing with your partner.
- Candle lit dinner with delicious cuisine.
- Go exploring the pristine islands.
- Scale through the Dos du Dragon.
- Take a day trip to Moroni Island- the perfumed island.
Best time to visit: April to December.
Visa requirement: Nigerians travelling to Comoros Island can get a visa on arrival at the airport.
My first time in Madagascar was awesome because lemurs are kind of funny; they throw fruit at the back of your head when you’re not looking and then point at one another when you turn around. – Kevin Hearne
Madagascar is one of the most beautiful places on earth. From its spectacular scenery that seems right out of a fairytale to the unique wildlife that occupies the island. It has an array of activities for both the indoor and outdoor lover. Grab your best half by the hand and wander wild and free through one of the national parks where you can have a date with the Lemur. You and your partner can spend most of your days exploring, enjoying the pleasures of life which strengthen the bonds of love.
Things to do in Madagascar in honeymoon:
- Have a date with the Lemurs at the national park.
- Travel through Tsingy de Bemaraha, one of the most striking national parks on the planet where you have the chance to hike through the limestone forests.
- Laze around the pristine sandy shores.
- Swim in the crystal clear blue waters.
- Capture beautiful picture at the Baobab Alley.
- Explore the Andasibe-Mantadia National Park for exotic wildlife.
- Relish the incredibly fascinating nightlife.
- Savor the delicious food and drinks.
- Watch the traditional display of Malagasy culture.
Best time to visit: April to November
Visa requirement: Madagascar is visa-free for 90days for Nigeria passport holders.
Girded on all sides by some of Africa’s best coral beaches, Zanzibar is post-card perfect. Coupled with incredible experiences, a honeymoon in Zanzibar is great as you can visit in quite economical costs. Tropical rainforest leads to sandy shores which extend to sapphire waters. There are so much to appease your desires. Plan your honeymoon here and you won’t have a reason to regret it.
Things to do in Zanzibar in honeymoon:
- Take romantic walks on the beaches.
- Watch the sunset with your love.
- Take a tour around the Spice Island.
- Indulge in the beautiful beaches of Zanzibar.
- Shop for lovely wares at Kiponda Street.
- Learn more about the history and culture of Zanzibar at Zanzibar Gallery or Peace Memorial Museum.
- Relish delicious cuisine at the food stall.
Best time to visit: June to October
Visa requirement: Nigerians can get a visa on arrival for 90 days or apply for an e-visa that will be issued within 72 hours.
So what are you waiting for? Plan this honeymoon if you’re not shy about indulging a bit in the finer things of life.